September 18, 2018 / Lifestyle
Coconut oil has become a trending item in recent years, and for good reason. It has been found to have some health benefits and is a very versatile oil, able to be used in everything from cooking to beauty to pets!
Unlike most vegetable oils, coconut oil is solid at room temperature. However it reacts to its environment – in the colder months it can be hard as a rock, and in the warmer months (or climates, like Arizona) it can be completely liquid. It doesn’t matter what form it sits, its uses don’t change!
In the Kitchen
Coconut oil can be used in place of butter, shortening and oil in most of your baking and cooking.
- Start off with coconut oil in your saute pan before cooking things on a stove top
- Toss vegetables in coconut oil and spices before roasting them in the oven
- Use melted oil to replace butter in baking dishes
- Heat coconut oil to 350 degrees for the best pan fried food
With the rising popularity of coconut oil in cooking there are many recipes now online that specifically call for coconut oil. Here are some tasty treats to try out:
Seared Tuna Steaks with Coconut, Corn and Cilantro
Sweet Potato Pancakes
Coconut Crumb Cake
Coconut oil isn’t just good for your insides. Virgin/unrefined oil offers a host of benefits for your skin and hair.
- Slather coconut oil on your hands, feet or other dry patches for a rich moisturizer
- Use coconut oil straight from the jar as makeup remover, even waterproof mascara
- Use it in place of shaving cream and see how smoothly your razor will glide
- Warm up a bit of oil in your hands and tame frizz and add shine to your morning do
- Add a spoonful of oil with some essential oils in your bath for a luxurious soak
Around the House
Coconut oil can also be used to clean and polish many household items.
- Use a bit of coconut oil on a dry rag to remove dust and give wood furniture a nice sheen
- Some leathers may benefit from coconut oil to help keep them soft and supple
- Season a cast iron skillet with refined coconut oil before the first time you use it
Tags: apartment l, apartment living